Full-Time Education Department Administrator
For over 45 years, Brass Bell Music Store has helped Milwaukee-area music makers realize their dreams. As Education Dept. Administrator at Brass Bell, you will get to help musicians of all walks of life create and maintain a desire for life-long involvement in music, from the novice to the pro. Our great family of employees share common passions and interests and come from a wide variety of musical backgrounds. The ideal candidate will be: friendly, outgoing, energetic, respectful, attentive to detail, organized, creative, and enthusiastic to help us in our mission to support music in our community. You will get to work in a fast-paced work environment, offering opportunities to grow and challenge yourself. Don’t miss a chance to step into a promising and enjoyable career!
Essential Job Functions:
- Follow store and department policies and procedures
- Supervising the internal functions of our Education Department, which serves over 1,000 students and employs over 50 private instructors.
- Ensure to-do lists are checked and update frequently, and items on the to do list are completed in a satisfactory and timely manner.
- Providing exemplary customer service to our in-store and phone customers for all of their music needs in an efficient but thorough manner.
Coworker Relations & Communication
- Facilitate the relationship that exists between the store, teachers, and families
- Familiarize yourself with families, learn them by name, checking in with families on a student
- Be familiar with the Brass Bell Teacher Guidelines, and reference appropriately
- Maintain friendly yet professional relationship with teachers, helping out or disciplining when needed
- Hold teachers accountable for the quality of their teaching and their behavior
- Participate in the writing of monthly blog posts for the teaching and sales staff
- Promote Brass Bell culture and policies
- Communicate policies consistently to team, teachers and customers
- Effectively explain the more challenging policies in a way that is easy to understand
- Assess and recommend when new teachers need to be hired
- Be involved in the contractual and review processes of new and current teachers
- Ensure the onboarding process is consistent and streamlined
- Ensure new teacher orientation addresses specific, crucial topics and includes tips and tricks on how to do well as a teacher
- Exit checklist for leaving teachers
- Student of the Month
- Collect nominations from teachers
- Decide on a given month's featured student
- Display the featured student's picture and bio in the lessons waiting area
- Present the featured student with a $50 gift card
Manage Billing & Finances
- Manage regular department communication and make presentations at staff meetings
- Ensure all team members are on board and following standard operating procedures
- Communicate projects and goals within Education Dept. and between other departments
- Cultivate a proactive approach for improving the Education department
- Bill teachers for studio rent
- Manage lesson payment
- Get payment from students to teachers
- Give change back if requested
- Credit check money to a teacher's account
- Run monthly autobilling using card on file, but following a strict set of steps and dates
- Print up yearly invoices for tax season and distribute to teachers
- Identify and resolve billing discrepancies
Studio/Recital Hall/Lessons Area Maintenance
- Maintain up to 60 teachers' schedules
- Register new students
- Call wait-list for potential new students
- Cancel and Reschedule students
- Cross-reference new registrations with teacher schedules, the waiting and hold lists, and file appropriately
- Collect, file, and refer to resumes turned in by potential teachers
- Maintain a database of teacher resumes and teacher info sheets and show them to students if requested
- Coordinate the general scheduling of recital hall events, including but not limited to student recitals and hall rentals for non-Brass Bell Events
- Coordinate participation in Brass Bell Rock, group classes, and the annual Federation competition (Oct-Feb)
- Register students
- Manage application forms
- Collect registration fees
- Verify accuracy of information we are sending to Federation
- Distribute score sheets and trophies to teachers
- Keep the lessons waiting area tidied up
- Set up the recital hall for recitals and events
- Inspect studios for cleanliness and maintenance needs on a daily basis
- Vacuum the back hallway and studios weekly (at the very least)
- Make sure lessons is stocked with necessary forms, pencils, etc.
- Assess studio needs and acquire appropriate equipment (clocks & batteries, working amps, etc.)
- Be able to market the Education program in coordination with other departments in an attempt to recruit new students and boost sales among current students.
- Be involved with community outreach events such as store tours, the musical instrument petting zoo, and the M.O.R.E. Program
- Advertise RocKamp and group classes
- A passion for music is a must!
- Bachelor’s Degree in music performance, music education, or a related field preferred but not required.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work 40 hours per week.
- Work a minimum of one evening shift and one weekend shift per week
- Available to attend staff meeting the 2nd Friday of each month from 9:30AM to Noon.
- Consistent scheduling
- Comprehensive benefits package including Health Insurance and Dental reimbursement with an HSA program.
- An IRA program with employer matching (after 2 years of employment).
- Paid time off for your birthday and vacations.
- Great discounts and employee purchase plans.
- Use of studio and recital hall facilities for personal use at no charge.
- Pay is based on qualifications.
- Fill out the Employment Application on our website. Submit one of three ways:
- Email to email@example.com
- Snail mail to:
Brass Bell Music Store
Attn: Human Resources
210 W. Silver Spring Dr.
Milwaukee, WI 53217
- Drop off in person to a manager (not guaranteed to get you a meeting/interview on the spot)
- Cover letter and resume optional